Maximus Metal Roofing - Took my money; shoddy roof job; incomplete roof job
Maximus Metal Roofing in Trussville, AL (Birmingham), owned by Robert E.Brewster, Jr.
put (or almost completed) putting a metal roof on my home. Mr. Brewster was very anxious to get his money - asking for 1/3 more of it when dumped metal in my yard and after I had already paid one third down at the contract signing. Trusting him, I gave him the additional 1/3.
On his third time at my house to complete the roofing job, he escorted me in the house and told me the job was nearly done, would only take a couple hours more and asked for the remaining 1/3 of the contract monies. Stupidly I paid him - he left with his crew and did not complete the roofing job. I have subsequently had another roofing contractor come out, take photos and document his poor job and also the incomplete job he did. It will cost me about 50% more of what I paid him to fix his crappy job per the estimate I got.
The only resort I have is to sue him in court (I've tried everything else from Angie's List, his liability insurance, my homeowners insurance and will now go to BBB before I file a legal complaint against him). From what I can find, he may no assets (house may be in wife's name). He does have a felony record for forgery (negotiating a worthless instrument), and I am talking to 4 other unhappy customers who have a similar experience to mine and Brewster refuses to respond to them, or to honor his warranty or fix his crappy work. He has 7 complaints against him on Angie's List at this time (had none against him and outstanding reviews when I signed the contract with him last summer).
He now has 5 issues listed at the BBB when he had none against him last summer when I signed the contract. He also has a default judgment against him for $5000 for not paying a metal supplier. He didn't even respond to the complaint against him and the court awarded the plaintiff the judgment on a default. The roof from my front yard looks good; but I have areas on the roof (on the backside where I could not see the roof due to the grade of the land) where Brewster has left off rows of screws that are to hold the metal down.
He used the wrong type of trim pieces - using flashing over a gable, when he should have used rake trim. That flashing allows water to go under the metal and rot and fascias and soffits. He tore off the boot around the pipe sticking up out of my roof and did not put on a new boot - but just put goop around the pipe. That will eventually give way and I will have roof leaks.
There are other issues and wrong things he did while will cause leaks and expense to my roof that have to be redone or corrected - to the tune of $2500 when his roofing contract, which I have already paid him, was $5000. He refuses to answer my phone calls. He refuses to answer or acknowledge my emails. He does not have a state license to do roofing - and he never has.
I have a signed Affidavit of Licensure from the State of Alabama stating that he does not have a roofing license and never has had one. In Alabama you have to have a state license any time you do residential roofs of $10,000 or over. Do NOT hire Maximus Metal Roofing or Robert Brewster to do any work around your house unless you want results like I and others who have found me on Facebook have. I have found Robert Brewster to be a liar almost every time he opens his mouth.
He says he will come fix the problem - he never shows up. He agrees to go to meetings to discuss the problem - he never shows up. I am hoping he gets thrown in jail due to some other things he has done to other customers - like take money ($12,000) and never have any metal for her roof delivered to be applied - and then never put a roof on the house - never gave her a refund - as a matter of fact, when that customer demanded a refund of her $12,000, Robert Brewster told that customer that he didn't have the $12,000 to give her as a refund! Check out Angie's List for this complaint and others - but you have to put in the name of his company (Maximus Metal Roofing) to find him because Angie's List will not let his company's name come up in a search for roofers.
What do you think he did with that $12,000 if he didn't buy metal to be put on her roof and didn't have money to refund to her?? Just what did he do with her $12,000?
Until he refunds her $12,000, I would call that fraud.My advice to you - AVOID THIS CONTRACTOR.
More Review Details
- Product or service
- Prepayment Fraud
- Review category
You May Also Like
- "I are not a Competitor but a Creditor, Our company is a small family owned earthmoving business, during our dealings with Andrew Kenneth Bennett and Michael Gavin Bennett from PMB..."
- "We were given the wrong model manufactured home. We purchased a 2010 and were given a 2009 (documents to validate all "claims" Statements). Home built with unapproved material, on un-level..."
- "***, don't buy. bought a 25x50 "on sale" of course, cause all their bldgs seem to be cancellations or on some sort of bargain. was forced to buy their plans..."
- "This is a comment about great service!I found this service on facebook because one of my friends like her page. I loved her pictures. I was a very controlling client..."
- "I ordered a tribal African print cropped top with a matching maxi skirt on June 28th, 2016 for $37.84. I was going on vacation on July 10th, so I paid..."
- "I've been on this site for just over a month and uncovered at least 11 scammers from GHANA wanting money, a phone, cloths or me to pay their bills. ..."
- "The first time I ordered from them I paid $50 something dollars but never could get my order . I decided to try again and 3 out of 4 of..."
- "So I have submitted a receipt from door dash online that states what I have ordered. When I got my food it was the complete opposite. I ordered a mac..."
- "So I've had State Farm for 32 years. My daughter turned 16 about a year ago and we put her on our insurance. Her insurance rate was nearly 5x..."